SNOWBALL THROWING TECHNIQUE
Snowball throwing technique is one of vocabulary games which make students enjoy and can decrease worry in learning vocabulary. Snowball throwing encourages the students to be active in speaking participation in the classroom, because this method contains a rich communication where students must be active. Snowball throwing techniques haves positive effect on the students memory development. In addition, the purpose of this technique is appropriate in reviewing the vocabulary for the students. In teaching learning process, snowball throwing technique can be a good media in developing students’ vocabulary.
The role of teaching vocabulary through Snowball Throwing Technique.
This technique is not difficult to apply. The role is very simple to the subject under study when the play this technique. The role of teaching snowball throwing technique can play like a game. It can be explained as below:
- Giving one topic for the student about what topic will you teach. For example:”Transportations”.
- Asking the students to stand up.
- The teacher plays the children music using the tape recorder.
- The teacher throws the ball to the first student. The first student throw the ball to the other students, taking turns from the right side to the left side during the music plays and then suddenly the teacher stop the music.
- The teacher shows a picture about the topic to the students. The last student which holds the ball must answer what the teacher shows. If the student cannot answer, the games will be continue to the next student until anyone can answer correctly and if all of the students cannot answer correctly, the teacher will answer what the picture is about. This situation can make students adroit in three activities at the same time (seeing, hearing, and speaking).
- The teacher explains and gives simple question that related to the picture.
- This step continues until the teacher finishers the last picture
- This technique can make the players or in this case the students more adroit and their ability about memorizing the English vocabulary is more increased because they learn in an enjoyable way. Fun in learning with snowball throwing technique brings real word context in to the classroom and enhances students to use English in flexible communicative way. It can make students relax and fun to study.
This technique to improving student skill especially in speaking and vocabulary. You can improve the student listening skill by mixing this technique. So the step will be change , when the student get the ball and answering the question from the teacher, another student try to listen what the student that get the ball said and write down on the piece of paper. After the class the student should submit it. So the teacher will measure the student listening skill.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
Advantages of this technique :
- This technique can make the players or in this case the students more adroit and their ability about memorizing the English vocabulary is more increased because they learn in an enjoyable way.
- Fun in learning with snowball throwing technique brings real word context in to the classroom and enhances students to use English in flexible communicative way.
- It can make students relax and fun to study.
- The teaching learning process more attractive
- The teacher more easy to teach about the vocabulary
Disadvantages of this technique :
- This technique need a lot of time to finish all the picture, because if the student can not answer so the teacher should continue to another student
- The teacher should control the situation of classroom, this technique will make situation more crowded because the student will scream when the ball running
- This technique not too effective measure speaking skill because not all the student will get the chance to speak because limit of the time